Monday, June 6, 2011

Historic Beauty

It's hard to believe the gorgeous Comerica Bank Building was ever covered in weird, aqua tiles! I explore the history of this structure, along with several other notable South Pas buildings, in my column this week at Patch. (It should post sometime around lunch today.)

UPDATE: Thanks to those of you who emailed that my latest column isn't linked with the others over at Patch. I'm sure it was just a glitch in putting it up. Try this link to get to today's column. Also, for those who can't seem to find me over there, just put my name into the search box and it should bring up all my stuff. The latest Patch layout doesn't keep columns on the front page anymore.

Carry on!






8 comments:

Judy Williams said...

Stellar image. Perfect angle and reflection. This would be killer blown up on a canvas!

Tash said...

Your photo of the stoic building is perfect.

Jon said...

I really like this one. I feel strangely compelled to count the clouds.

TheChieftess said...

Great shot!!! I'm with Jon...definitely time to sit back and count the clouds or look for shapes!!!

Anonymous said...

Patch needs to promote your work. It's great and should be seen by a wider audience.

Tim said...

Love these stories about old South Pas. I'm not signed up over at patch but I wanted to tell you thanks for your great article and movie.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving these stories. What sources do you use for them? Books? Or original documents? Or something else? Curious.

Laurie Allee said...

Thanks, everyone!

Anon, my stories come from books and old newspapers. Jane Apostol's history of South Pas is a treasure trove. I interviewed Jane here on the blog about two years ago. Chelsea -- the local history librarian -- at the South Pas library is a whiz at helping anyone research the city.

I also love talking with people whose families have been here for generations. They have a lot of great anecdotes that are fun to look up and verify.