Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sunny View

Pull up a chair at my dinged-up, well-used dining room table. I just brewed coffee, but I can also put on a kettle for tea. Hell, just give me a good reason to uncork one of the dusty bottles of Bordeaux sharing space with laundry detergent and cat litter in my wine cellar. What's that you say? It's Wednesday? That's a good enough reason for me.

Sometimes the prettiest thing in the world isn't necessarily fancy but familiar. This sunny spot is always a feast for my eyes. Well, maybe not when it's cluttered with dirty dinner plates, but even then it reminds me of the gorgeousness of everyday things. In a world that disrupts and deconstructs, this old table grounds. It also offers the perfect surface for art projects and Monopoly. And every afternoon, regardless of all the dour headlines, it grabs some of the setting sun's rays and splashes them around the room as if to say, Life is golden ... just look around!

Pretty Things Week continues here at Glimpses. Consider it a "Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty" bumper sticker that I'm sticking on the Internet.

7 comments:

Judy Williams said...

A single mug. The perfect light. Fabulous. It truly is the little things. I think we are often caught up in everything else, and we miss them. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

You know, I didn't listen to a single bit of news yesterday, and I'm a better person for it. I deserve the wine, darn it. (Lovely scene.)

Michelle said...

Wine AND coffee for me!

TheChieftess said...

Well, it's a little early for wine right now...but if I head south now, by the time I get there, it will be wine time!!!

San Diego Farmgirl said...

That light makes me hope for a sofa nearby for napping.

Dixie Jane said...

No news is good news. You are right altadenahiker. I have seen a certain current face so much on television that I could draw a portrait without even seeing the person. Meanwhile back to the important things like sunshine streaming through a window and splashing over a table. It really is the simple things......

Cafe Pasadena said...

Looks like someone got tired of waiting on a sunny day.