Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Curbside Hope

The colorful old houses along El Centro are even prettier when my favorite Gatsby car is parked nearby.

This is one of the sweetest vantage points in the entire city. Looking down this street is like gazing at an iconic image of the 20th Century American dream. It's like watching Our Town with a tall glass of lemonade next to a girl scout who is reading an old Saturday Evening Post. There's nothing snarky or ironic about this place. It's just happy. And hopeful. (You might want to click on this one to make it bigger.)

My Pretty Things Week continues. Nothing serious or startling -- just lovely little bits of eye candy. Consider it my rebellion against ugly news and humid weather.

12 comments:

CPI said...

nice photography blog! it was really helpful site for me :) thanks for sharing..

Shanna said...

I think we saw this car yesterday while driving around town. I said to Jim that I could just see it as one of Laurie's photos.

Question; Is Wild Thyme closed? It was all dark and roped off...

Judy Williams said...

Oh I couldn't agree more. Straight out of The Great Gatsby. Maybe Daisy is visiting a friend inside, and they are sipping tea in their floating bias cut dresses and button shoes.

Dixie Jane said...

Such a happy picture and the colorful houses and vintage car are always a pleasure to see. Yes, we can all enjoy a reprieve from the news that has been hammering our heads.

Wayne said...

Very charming indeed.

We have a bit of a 'before and after' theme on our blogs today LA.

TheChieftess said...

Nice!!! I can feel the warm summer day!!!

Diana said...

Thanks for a week of pretty things - it's such a nice contrast to reading the newspaper or watching the news. You can really feel the love you have for SoPas in your lovely photographs!

Judy Williams said...

If you did a sepia conversion, it really WOULD look old timey. Like a photo from a treasured scrap book from the 20's. But did they have the streetlights then?

Laurie Allee said...

Hi gang!

Welcome, CPI!

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I'm so sick of dour news and sensationalistic "news" that I just need a break from it all. Glad to take all of you along.

Shanna, this particular car is a favorite. It definitely tools around the area, so I wouldn't be surprised if you saw it. (If you get a shot of it with a sky behind it, put it on VIEW!)

Diana, thank you. I do love this place, and it's a great subject for my camera.

Wayne, I'm off to see your blog...

Mister Earl said...

There's a lot of old in that photo!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a movie!

Monika said...

Classical but excellent. Thank you.