Monday, May 14, 2012

A Long View

I love grand, sweeping panoramas. For a city of only a few square miles, South Pasadena has an amazing number of beautiful views. (I actually wrote about it for Patch a while back.) Sure, a postcard view is an easy shot for a photographer when all you have to do is point your camera at a beautiful setting.

But what a payoff!

Former South Pas residents who have moved away often write me asking to post photos of specific views. Recently, a reader living in China asked if I had any stormy views from Monterey Hills looking toward the San Gabriels. Here you go...

For some truly remarkable view shots, check out The Library of Congress Panoramic Photograph Collection, 1851-1991. The images feature cityscapes, landscapes, bridges, waterways, natural disaster overviews and some pretty amazing old group portraits and beauty contests. (Check out this amazing shot of South Pasadena's historic Raymond Hotel! And for those of you who read my Castle Green post a few days ago, here's a great shot of Pasadena's famous Hotel Green.)These photographs give us a long view of world history and offer a fantastic window into our shared past.

7 comments:

Judy Williams said...

Picture perfect. A lovely natural triptych of clouds, mountains and the tree covered foreground. This would be awesome blown up huge on canvas!!!!

Michelle said...

I'm with Judy. I would love to see this big!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm a huge fan of panoramas. We actually have a collection of them. Many of them show snippets of Los Angeles history. The one over my hutch is of the SoCal chemical society meeting on the westside, with a special emphasis on the introduction of the avocado. My grandmother is in that one and it is spectacular

Arguing Guy said...

In the winter when the inversion layer isn't so oppressive..

Or maybe when the Santa Ana's blow.

Yeah the views are fine. Nice shot.

Petrea Burchard said...

Lovely.

Your friends in China said...

Thank you, Laurie! We finally saw this!!!

Laurie Allee said...

You are quite welcome, my friends. ;-)

Thanks everyone!