Saturday, May 16, 2009

Come to the Fair...

This whimsical train chug-chug-chugged along Mission Street during the recent Arts and Crafts Fair. For even more madcap rides and games, just head out today and tomorrow to the 12th annual South Pasadena Fun Fair at the School District parking lot between Mission and El Centro. Hosted by South Pasadena's three elementary schools, the event aims to raise much-needed cash during a state education budget crisis. (Recent state cuts slashed around $1.8 million from the 2009-10 budget projections.)

Don't assume you have to be in elementary school to enjoy the activities. Today I saw crews setting up a Ferris wheel worthy of inducing vertigo in even the hardiest adult. Expect even more huge rides, food booths, balloons, confetti eggs, arts and crafts, silly string, baked goods, a used book sale and a vast array of old fashioned games and prizes. (This time, I swear I'm going to win a stuffed panda.)

10 comments:

Virginia said...

I do see a Panda in your future and that is one cutie patootie train. Toot toot!
V

Anonymous said...

Perfect weekend for a ferris wheel ride. Is little bit too young for one?

Margaret said...

The fun fair is aptly named. It is very fun! You know the biggest money maker? The confetti eggs.

Margaret said...

PS: I'll be working the Korean BBQ booth tomorrow morning!

Dixie Jane said...

Fun Fair. So easy to love and great for the kid in all of us. Just forget me and the Ferris Wheel. Invariably they stop when you are up top and that scares me. Very cute train. I know L.B. will have fun. And you will have fun too. S. Pasadena is a great place for you and your family to be living. And what a change from the rush rush of the L.A. traffic.

Judy Williams said...

catch a ride
on the animal train
it brings the sunshine
forget the rain

YAY - how much fun. I love to ride on those sorts of things. Quiet and you can hear the passersby. I always loved when riding on one such as this, everyone waves at you.

Wish I'd been there to eat a snow cone or swat a fly away from my roasted corn on the cob. :~)

Mister Earl said...

Went over there this morning. Water balloon wars!!! They kept hitting the police car with water balloons! And we saw the confetti eggs too!

PJ said...

The elementary school fairs are always so much fun, everyone gets to be a kid again. I hope you and Little Bit had a good time.

Laurie Allee said...

Hi gang,

Thanks for all the comments.

PJ! So glad to see you here. (Everyone should take a few minutes to visit PJ's daily photo blog for some truly breathtaking images.)

Altadenahiker, as far as Little Bit being too young for the Ferris wheel (which I was worried about) her exact words while stopped at the very top: "I want to stay here forever and ever!" They grow up so fast.

I'm busily uploading and editing shots from the fair for tomorrow's post. Until then...

Anonymous said...

Photos have come really nice..keep going..great work..

Nice photo...wonderful thoughts....

Thanks for sharing...

_________________
Andrew
Entertainment at one stop