Thursday, September 30, 2010

Waiting



...I am waiting for the Great Divide to be crossed
and I am anxiously waiting
for the secret of eternal life to be discovered
by an obscure general practitioner
and I am waiting
for the storms of life
to be over
and I am waiting
to set sail for happiness
and I am waiting
for a reconstructed Mayflower
to reach America
with its picture story and tv rights
sold in advance to the natives
and I am waiting
for the lost music to sound again
in the Lost Continent
in a new rebirth of wonder...


--Lawrence Ferlinghetti

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powerful use of photo and poem!

Mister Earl said...

I AM WAITING

Ah, Lawrence, the poet laureate of San Francisco. Where we're waiting for the Magic Number to go from 3 to 0.

Jean Spitzer said...

With this and yesterday's post, you're getting into a stucco mode.

Great match of photo/caption/poem.

Judy Williams said...

wow!!

The horizontal lines are great with his verticals dissecting. I love the roses behind his head. This is so nice to look at and the poem - I can't say enough about it.

My favorite line is "and I am waiting to set sail for happiness"

Aren't we all doing that? Hope it's a happy day for everyone who reads it.

TheChieftess said...

Very contemplative shot LA...absolutely fits with the poem...

Shanna said...

Yes to all the comments...I agree.

Mister Earl said...

Giants' magic number is now 2. Still waiting.... Just need to win one more. I'm sure 91-year-old Lawrence is on board with this!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm thinking this poem next to "capture this #43" is a better match. Your blog, my critique. Obnoxious of me isn't it?

Gunn said...

Wow, to both the photo and the poem!
You really add "the extra" by the composition you create in your photographs!:)

Tash said...

Powerful! Will have to look up more Larry Ferlinghetti (bet he would hate being called Larry!)...marvellous emotional combo.