Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kid Stuff



South Pasadena has a lot of children. At a glance, this place adds plenty of demographic support to the recently reported American baby boomlet. I don’t know official South Pas numbers, but if you go by Baby Bjorn, stroller and big wheel sightings: our town has about umpteen bazillion kids.

As one of the rug-rat set myself, I think it’s pretty wonderful. This is a spectacular city to settle down and raise a child. The schools are some of the best in Southern California. The town itself looks like it could have been rendered by Tasha Tudor or Eulalia Banks . My little daughter finds a potential playmate every time we go outside for a walk. But what’s really nice is South Pasadena’s sense of balance. It’s not that kid stuff eclipses everything else. Nope. It’s all included together in a city culture that encourages family togetherness without forgetting that adults need choices other than Build a Bear or Chuck E. Cheese and that children might be less obnoxious if they hung out with adults more.

I think Jerry Seinfeld is the one who said, "there is no such thing as fun for the whole family." (Anyone who has a kid will laugh at this joke.) Life in South Pasadena may not definitively prove him wrong but it weakens his argument. Most cafes here have menus with chicken tenders or a grilled cheese sandwich thoughtfully placed among the goat cheese salads and portabello mushroom pasta. On Mission Street there is a toy store, a children’s furniture store and a kid’s party store. Not to worry, there are also two excellent wine shops and a couple of galleries. Something for everybody. Balance. Adult stuff, kid stuff, and not a Chuck E. Cheese in sight. .

Here are two little South Pasadena kiddos I spotted dancing at the concert in Garfield Park. They weren't far from the guys in yesterday’s post.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you should write for the Chamber of Commerce. They always need good boosters.

Virginia said...

No kidding, Steve is right. Your commentary is just delightful. Your two cute kiddos are as well. Love the sun on their little heads. I like the balance idea. As a former elem. teacher we had a term for children that came from homes where there wasn't that balance:
" Little Miss Center of the Universe" syndrome!

angela said...

Interesting text. You put your point of view very well and I just love those two happy kiddies dancing in the sun..

Columbo said...

Great shot, I love B&W shooting. I am happy you live in such a great place for kids and family. Keep up the great commentary.

Petrea Burchard said...

Oh, so true of South Pas. If you really want Chuck E Cheese you can come to Pasadena (but why would you want it?). I guess that's one reason why the two towns complement each other. Pasadena feels like a big small town to me. South Pasadena, though surrounded by big towns, really is a small town. A lovely spot, as your commentary states so well.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I hope the girls were singing, too!

Judy Williams said...

AWW. I love that they are oblivious to the camera. Great use of black and white too. We'll have fun with our cameras soon. YIPPEE

Anonymous said...

L, yeah, South Pas is A-oK.
One of my longest/best friends has lived there his entire life. The whole family is good people. Yeah, ok.

Another good friend grew up there in South Pas (but she was originally from TX) and she's a character and someone I adore. Yeah, ok.

You've only lived there a year, but I think you're doing ok too. Your child, however, has the head start on the parents. She's gonna be an all-american kid!!

Laurie Allee said...

Howdy folks,

Welcome! I love reading everyone's comments. And thanks for coming back and making it so much fun for me to blog.

Boise diva (I love your nickname by the way) yes, those girls were singing and it was too cute. Then again, the whole place was singing when the band played "Wooly Bully."

Petrea, Pasadena feels like a big small town to me, too. Or maybe it feels like a small city. But now I'm mincing words... I do like how Pasadena and South Pas are such good siblings. Which reminds me, what are you doing for next month's theme day?

Mike, hey! I grew up in Texas so what does that make me? :-)

Judy, I can't wait for you to this place through YOUR camera. Everyone, Judy is a most amazing photographer -- a digital artist, really -- and she's my sister, to boot. Check out her blog Jutilda's PhotoStream. You can find the link on the right side of this page.

Thanks again, wonderful people.

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

Aw, those little girls are cute overload. Sweeeet.

Eki said...

This is a wonderful candid shot, Laurie. The DANCING IN THE PARK post is also wonderful: the moment, the rich black and white tones ...

COuld we exchange links? You are on my blog roll already. Thanks.

Petrea Burchard said...

I have a teeny surprise in store for theme day. Pasadena has several sister cities, none of which I can get to, and none of which I have friends in. But I got lucky this time with one of them. ;)

Kim said...

Love the light in this shot! Beautiful capture of the two little misses.

I am so glad to hear there is not a Chuck E. Cheese. That is one establishment that, for me, has the words "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here!" inscribed above its doorway.
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Dixie Jane said...

Adorable little children. Too soon they grow up. Wonderful shot. As for Chucky Cheese. It is a name synonymous with being sick.

dianasfaria.com said...

what an endearing photo!
Great post too.