Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pondering on a Summer Morning

There are flowers on the table, coffee is brewing and the parrots are gathering in the camphor trees above my house. I know it's the big things in life that we always remember -- the births and deaths and graduations, the promotions and colossal failures and serendipitous acts of grace.
But I wish we'd remember more of the little moments. You know what I mean ... all their clarity, ease and boring, wonderful idleness.
I'm sure I won't remember these specific pink roses from Trader Joes. Not after a few weeks, anyway. I'll remember the concept of pink roses from Trader Joes -- after all, they're always there and always bright and ridiculously beautiful -- but I probably won't remember these roses. Little Bit picked them out the other day because "they looked like they needed us."
(Well, maybe I'll remember them now.)

9 comments:

Judy Williams said...

Your way of expressing the feelings we all have but can't put into words is extraordinary!! Bravo to Miss Bit. YOU needed those roses as much as they needed you.

Sally said...

Lovely in every way. (and happy belated birthday I missed!)

Jon said...

So happy to share the little things with you.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

that kids got a way about her

Anonymous said...

Wonderful.

Adele said...

Those are the best things to remember. So nice that you have a great daughter to help you stop and notice.

TheChieftess said...

Definitely a "must remember this" moment!!!

hugO said...

... beautiful.

Auntie S said...

Wonderful blog...words and image made my heart beat.

Little Bit's comment reminded me of a couple of lines from T.S.Eliot's, Four Quartets.

..."for the roses had the look of flowers that are looked at."