Monday, March 12, 2012

equally dark view of the car


"By the time of early film noir the internal combustion automobile was already firmly entrenched in the American way of life. The country’s ideals of individual freedom, prosperity, and technological advancement all found a perfect symbol in the car, a liberating machine with the promise of personal mobility and control. But as the automobile began to affect the physical and social fabric of cities and their environs, a film movement focused on the dark sides of the city and humanity would take an equally dark view of the car."

Excerpted from: Driving is Murder: The Automobile, Violence, and the City in Film Noir

Written for Professor Joan Copjec's Reading the City: Film Noir
at City College of New York, December 15, 2006

13 comments:

hugO said...

... AWESOME! Thank you for sharing this book!

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you amaze me with the cool things you share on this blog, both from your prolific brain (and your camera) but also from other fascinating minds. Thank you.

Judy Williams said...

Where on earth did you find not only that car, but the quote from that book? You never cease to amaze.

Now I'm on a mad hunt to figure out what in the heck it is. I love the sloping lines of the back and the wide white walls. My fist thought was an early 50's Peugeot, but I am unable to find it. Anybody else out there know what model this is? It's fantastic.

Judy Williams said...

I think I found it. It's a Czechoslovakian make called the Tatra Tatraplan T-600. I believe this is their 1950's model. Also known as the Teardrop car. It was only produced from 1947 - 1951. WOW - what a vehicle!!

kustom55 said...

You beat me to it Judy; a 1949 Tatra T 600, V8 motor was in the truck. Beautiful car!

Green Guy said...

Man, what a find.

Chrissy Brand said...

A real find- what an interesting old car.

Laurie Allee said...

Thanks for IDing this GORGEOUS MACHINE! The sheer number of unique vintage cars in this region is staggering. Every time I think I've shot every old car in South Pas, I find another one. This one is a favorite, right up there with the 30s Peugeot from a few years ago.

Michelle said...

AMAZING!

Thal Armathura said...

This is Justin Pinchot's Tatra, actor Bronson Pinchot's younger brother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronson_Pinchot

Laurie Allee said...

THanks, everyone.

Thal, be sure to let the Pinchot brothers know that we could sure use their help saving the Rialto! I know how much Bronson is into preservation. Love his TV series on how he restored his East Coast 1800s home.

That car is spectacular. I think it's my new favorite South Pas vintage car.

TheChieftess said...

Whoa!!! Great car!!! At first I thought of the old 9-11 porche, but it's not quite sleek enough...glad Judy id'd it!!! And what an awesome capture Laurie! It really is amazing how many vintage cars are in your area! This one is spectacular!

Laurie Allee said...

THanks, Chieftess! I'm really amazed at the collectors out here. And I swear,some of them slow down now when they see me stalking them on the road. :-)