Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Field Trip: Pasadena City Hall

Nearby Pasadena has a City Hall worthy of inclusion in a list of great buildings of North America. Designers John Bakewell and Arthur Brown were greatly influenced by the early Renaissance style of 16th century Italian architect Andrea Palladio. It's obvious in the gorgeous Mediterranean Revival and Spanish Colonial details. Construction was completed on December 27, 1927 at a total cost of $1.3 million which probably equates to 800 bazillion gillion upteenbobillion of today's dollars.

(South Pasadena really got the fuzzy end of the lollipop when it comes to City Hall buildings. Ours looks like this.)

8 comments:

Judy Williams said...

I feel like I'm in Europe somewhere. You know what a fan I am of long shadows. :)

Anonymous said...

GREAT shot.

LOLfromPasa said...

Sitting by that fountain is possibly one of my 'most' favorite spots in my youth. Great place for thinking! Nice photograph.

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe this isn't Europe!

Cafe Pasadena said...

another nice shot of our Citihall. this recalls the Citihall tour I assisted our PIO to conduct for Pasadena area bloggers 2 yrs ago. Perhaps it's time for another.

Jason said...

I need to check out those grounds. I had no idea.

TheChieftess said...

One of the most beautiful spots in Pasadena!!!

-K- said...

It's always nice to start my lunch break with a reference to "Some Like It Hot."

Its like getting the unfuzzy end of the lollipop.