Thursday, November 10, 2011

Starr Gazing

I know it's rather early to mention this, but history lovers need to mark their calendars now for an upcoming library event. On January 19 at 7:00 PM, the Friends of the South Pasadena Library will host Author Night with historian Kevin Starr at the library Community Room.
Those of you who know me well have undoubtedly listened to me wax with rhapsodic wonder about Dr. Starr's incredible books on California. Seriously, this man makes California's wild, mythical and outrageous past come alive in ways that most novelists can only dream of.
His Americans and the California Dream series is like a time machine ride through the grand-sweeping saga that created our state. (Embattled Dreams is my favorite in the series, covering the tumultuous 1940s.) Dr. Starr leaves nothing out of his narrative -- from big ideas to the smallest details of California's epic story. He's a scholarly historian to be sure, but he has the heart of a poet, not to mention the literary chops of a master storyteller. (Can you tell I'm a gushing fan?)
I'll mention this again as the date approaches, but make a note now! And for those of you who haven't already done so: go out and buy Dr. Starr's books. You'll thank me when I see you at the event.

7 comments:

Judy Williams said...

I love how windows near trees encapsulate their reflection like a treasured mirror. In this instance, it's 10 of them. I wonder why the upper central one doesn't have mullions. Oh, I think upon a closer look, it has leaded panes. Is the design an open book?

Who's the Greek (or perhaps Roman) guy in the bottom tile? Anyone know?

Michelle said...

That sounds great! I remember you mentioned Starr in comments once because I made a note to read his books after!

Neat pic. I believe the classical figure is from Greek mythology, right?

Anonymous said...

I'm curious who the "Ken Starr" of TX would be??

Green Guy said...

This is great to know. I love the dream series, as well. Ive always liked history but Kevin Starr and Ken Burns inspire with their handling of it. They should collaborate on a California doc!

Mark Butler said...

I'm so glad to find out about this. I am also a big fan of Mr. Starr's books. Nice to find some other history nerds around here.

Laurie Allee said...

Welcome, Mark!

Cafe Pasadena said...

Still curious, but I have to suppose TX doesn't have an equivalent.