Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Eddie Park

Eddie Park is tucked away in a sleepy residential corner of South Pas. I found it a few months ago when I was driving around trying to get my cranky daughter to fall asleep in her car seat. Instead, we skipped naptime and played in this unusual playground.

The historic Eddie House and grounds were donated to the City of South Pasadena by the Eddie family. And what a donation! Remember when you were a kid and you would walk past that really big house in your neighborhood? The one with the great spreading lawn you were just dying to kick a ball around? Maybe the house was a little run down, a romantic old beauty in need of a new coat of paint, the kind of spooky but marvelous place where ghosts like Marion and George Kerby might host flapper parties on nights with a full moon…

That’s this place.

Spending time at Eddie Park feels almost like trespassing. The .75 acre lawn is perfect for playing fetch with your pooch or reading a book under one of the huge shade trees. A group barbeque area is staged around a large open brick fireplace. A Japanese style wooden arched bridge connects part of a long forgotten garden to the edge of the now abandoned driveway. Of course, there are swings and a slide. The Transitional Craftsman house has suffered a few unfortunate alterations – some rather inelegant louvered windows upstairs and virtually all of the original trim painted over – but it retains much of its charm including some spectacular leaded glass. If you peek into the downstairs windows, you’ll see lovely original woodwork and a gorgeous fireplace. Apparently this level is used for Scout meetings and an Alcoholics Anonymous group. The locked sun porch, to my daughter’s consternation, is filled floor to ceiling with toys, art supplies and puzzles. It is used by Pasadena City College for early childhood development classes. Upstairs, we can only wonder. (Maybe that’s where the Kerbys hang out.)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo. Interesting post.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Kim said...

Hey Laurie, what a cool swing set for babies and toddlers in that park. It's my first time stopping in at your new South Pasadena photo blog and already I love your writing style. Between you in SoPas and Ben and Petrea in Pasadena proper, you've got the territory well covered. Best to you, and welcome to the City Daily Photo Blog community!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

jake said...

Ive never seen this park before! Whats the location? Very interesting.

dave over at 1916home.net
and now... (drumroll please)...

http://mtbaldyeagle.blogspot.com/

Laurie Allee said...

Thanks, Abe! Thanks, Kim!

Laurie Allee said...

Hi Dave,

I should have posted the location. Oops! It's on the corner of Chelton Way and Edgewood.

Now heading over to see your new blog...

Thursday Girl/Hollis the Cat said...

I just recently discovered this park as well--that whole area is great for sunset walks. I never looked at the house up close, but I sure will next time I'm there.

Thanks for the info!

PS: I lived right up the street from Millie's in Silver Lake, and yes it is still around and still delicious! (It's on the south side of Sunset between Lucille and Golden Gate (my old street).

Unknown said...

Welcome to the City Daily Photo group and, more specifically, the San Gabriel Valley participants!

I worked in S. Pas. for awhile. The city really has its own unique feel, unlike anywhere else. Some residential areas are like stepping into the past. Beautiful homes.

Laurie Allee said...

Hi Thursday! I'm so glad to know Millies is still around. It's been so long since I was there. I remember the great waffles and the surly waitresses. I loved that place. BTW, your nick is great. It conjurs for me the name of one of my favorite characters in recent fiction: Jasper Fford's Thursday Next.

Howdy Keith! THanks for the warm welcome. The San Gabriel Blogging community is so friendly and cool. You are all making me feel very welcome here. Yay!

dianasfaria.com said...

cool photo blog!

Hilda said...

Looks like a nice place to spend a quiet afternoon. But when dusk falls, I think I'd quickly hie off from there. ;D

Petrea Burchard said...

What a delightful "secret" you've uncovered. Can't wait to discover it myself.

Dixie Jane said...

How lovely to leave one's home for others to enjoy. A lasting legacy. And just as lovely is your writing about it.

Anonymous said...

The Japanese style bridge you mentioned was built in the late 1990's (can't remember the exact date) as a Girl Scout Gold Award Project. It is used for Girl Scout Bridging ceremonies, where girls move from one level of Girl Scouts to the next. It was the project of a South Pasadena Girl Scout, all the materials were donated by businesses in South Pasadena, and every Girl Scout sense then has used it.

Shannon Macklam said...

I used to be the assistant for the PCC Parent Ed classes at this location in the late 90's. I loved all of the detail in the house (even the musty old smell!). I don't remember the swings/slide, but maybe we just didn't use them.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I actually grew up in the Eddie park house. My dad worked for the city and we lived upstairs for over 10 years. It didn't have the play yard but all the neighborhood kids came to play all the time. There were more oak trees to climb & it was so great to grow up there. Sorry to say but I don't think it's haunted
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Was going to comment about people living upstairs and then saw Debbie's post. I worked for the city and occasionally had to visit the residents who occupied the unit. Dad was a city employee and I'm sure had some responsibilities for keeping an eye on the place in exchange for a decent rent (I hope!). Was never sure why the City didn't keep the house in a condition that would allow it to be used for weddings and such, but I'm sure the neighbors would have shot that down.