Wednesday, June 1, 2011

(De)Construction

Today is the first day of the month, and that means it's Theme Day for participating City Daily Photo bloggers. Today's theme is Under Construction.

In South Pasadena's case it might as well be called Under Destruction. The city continues to wait (in traffic) for the finished result of the Fair Oaks construction project. I'm no statistician but it seems to me that most residents disagree with the bizarre design plan of curb bulbouts, center medians and loss of right turn lanes. (Just read some of the comments from my column about this subject over at South Pasadena Patch.)

The city's merchants have taken the hardest hit as months of open trenches, detours and general gridlock have kept shoppers away from the business district. Several of the city's firefighters have expressed concern about the medians impeding ability to answer emergency calls. Handicapped citizens have pointed out that the construction has all but destroyed accessibility, possibly violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Will the finished product make sense? Will it enhance traffic flow, add to pedestrian safety and beautify our main thoroughfare? That's what some city authorities have said -- the few who have actually offered any kind of explanation for this expensive project. Maybe they're right. But count me among the many who are dubious.

For other construction examples from around the world, check out examples presented by my fellow City Daily Photo bloggers. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

15 comments:

Ben Nakagawa said...

That I call excessive sigh... Great shot!

Mister Earl said...

On of my Starbucks friends already noticed some cracking in the brand-new sidewalk at Fair Oaks and El Centro outside of the Wells Fargo. It will be interesting to see how the completed product affects traffic. I still have not received a straight answer from anyone about the intended purpose of this project.

ben wideman said...

Brilliant photo, Laurie. I love the way it sort of fades into chaos.

Anonymous said...

Amazing shot. This project, as it moves closer to completion, looks more and more stupid. Any city official who could sit by as those first bulb outs were constructed and not STOP the process and reevaluate needs to have his head examined. The design is stupid and bad for the city and nobody had brains enough to put a stop to it and reconsider/redesign. I don't even particularly care for the new street lamps.

Anonymous said...

Go get 'em, Tiger.

Judy Williams said...

Open trenches brings all sorts of thoughts to my head, war being one of them. Kind of a war between the city and the merchants, huh? As much as I hate the idea of what's going on, I really love the photo.

TheChieftess said...

Yuck!!! Glad we don't have to deal with that mess!!! Great photo...really shows what you all are dealing with...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hammering away at this.

Anonymous said...

I had to LOL with the TRENCH signs! Watch your step people! Nice snap for today's theme day!
Regards from EAGAN daily photo

Dixie Jane said...

How many "open trench" signs do they need? Is this a case of "it's so bad it's good"? The photo is good. The prevalence of signs, and any need for them, is really dumb. I don't live there but I am sad for you who are having your city torn up by people with obvious lack of sensible planning.

Trish said...

I'm thinking if they spent less on the freekin signs and more on the product, this might turn out a skosh better?!?!

I love the "no left" and "no right" turn signs and yet, "business open during construction". Really, how, pray tell, does one GET to said "open business"?

And while I'm at it, take a gander at that sidewalk. That patch just before Ai is different than the one just up FO from it and then once again, another new patch is north of that. Really?

I've not seen the new "bulb outs" but descriptors sound hideous. As I've previously mentioned, I watched a guy drive over one of these a few months back, ripped the entire undercarriage out of his car. Gotta say, that hosed traffic for a long time, as no one could get into the shopping center for more than 2 hours while they awaited a tow truck. Bet THAT sure helped the economy! not! oops.

Ironically, in the picture, down on the left, a ways down, is the junior high. I REALLY think the kids there could do a better job of this project.

wv: mention...don't want to mention the elephant in the room---really, the town had to take the money, to hire a contractor from outside of the city, to heap this loss of tax revenue on the town? oy.

Jilly said...

I love this image. Says so much. It seems to me it's the same all over the world. Construction work that is supposed to help people eventually but does it/will it?

Mister Earl said...

"Any city official who could sit by as those first bulb outs were constructed and not STOP the process and reevaluate needs to have his head examined."

Anon: Head examined? I'll settle for just throwing them out. I've examined their heads. Not much there.

Anonymous said...

Just a technicallity but this is not a current photo of the status of the project
it looks to be from April

Anonymous said...

ARRRRGH!It's 10pm. They started with the jack hammer at 9:40 pm at Hope and Fair Oaks. When I went out there, none of the workers knew who or where their supervisor is and when I told them the noise has to stop, they told me to "go fuck myslef"

Thank you so very much!