Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Musing

I'm extremely fond of this image. I took it a few months ago at the South Pasadena ArtsFest and I've probably pulled it up on the computer at least a hundred times since then. I never seem to be able to write about exactly why I like it so much or what I think it means. Today, however, I stumbled upon a wonderful poem called Barter, by Sara Teasdale. These lines perfectly explain things:

Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And childrens's faces looking up
Holding wonder in a cup.

11 comments:

Mister Earl said...

Really nice capture, and the last two lines of the poem fit exactly.

Brenda's Arizona said...

I wrote a thesis paper on this poem. Have been a Sara Teasdale fan forever! Your photo is captivating. Totally different than I pictured - I like how you re-invent my imagination.

Yakpate said...

LA: All of the children in this shot are exquisitely beautiful... so much so that it has the quality of Italian cinema in its heyday. Is Marcello Mastroianni just outside the frame?

Dixie Jane said...

The picture and the poem couldn't be more compatible. An Ah ha moment. Makes me feel glad all over.

San Diego Farmgirl said...

My first thought was "My God, Little Bit sure is growing up fast! She's practically a teenager!" Thought I was Lazarus there for a minute until I realized this was someone else's child.

Shanna said...

At first glance I thought of you, as you looked when you were a child.

Ashley said...

Beautiful!

(And I love that poem...love!)

Laurie Allee said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments, everyone. I'm glad to have finally found a reason to post this image.

I've been in a monochrome mood, lately ... so stay with me as I see a few more things in black and white!

Until next time...

Cafe Pasadena said...

My canine intuition says inside you holds more about this image beyond this poem you stumbled upon.

barbra said...

The mom in the middle (with the straw) is my friend!

Natalie DeJohn said...

I'm craving a Diet Coke now...